Rom & Tonik
Founders Mats and Birgitte came to us with the challenge of finding a name and creating the identity for their industrial design agency. At the time, they called it Muro Design, a name they came up with while studying at NTNU. They had one product ready for the market: tiles made of felt that can either be easily mounted along a wall or be used as a room divider. The effect is to absorb sound and divide large spaces into smaller functional zones. Innovation Norway believed in their idea, and so did we. We were really eager to kick off the project, but the company had limited funds. As a result, we revised our standard business model for the project.
We started out by making a simple yet efficient brand platform, defining the company's focus, their main aims, customers and markets. We also defined how they wanted to be perceived in relation to their competitors. Being young, bold, and dead serious about their field of expertise became important traits to build on.
Based on the platform we started the naming process. We involved lots of people at the agency in this process, trying to find a name that would reflect the quirkiness and still classical approach that Mats and Birgitte have to their work. Rom&Tonik encompassed these elements, had humor, and would spark instant curiosity amongst those who heard it.
When visualizing the identity, we developed different directions, while in the end combining some key elements from two of them to form the final result.
The logo symbol was drawn using the letters RT (Rom &Tonik) in a mirrored effect.The symbol is perfectly adaptable to the 3 dimensional products and spaces, and makes up a strong graphic element on its own. Pål Laukli was engaged to take photographs of the company in line with its identity, and we also worked with the tone of voice for the web content.
Through the process, Mats and Birgitte has gained a new brand platform, a distinctive company name, an identity and a company website. For them to have established this small set of tools when taking their first product to the market, represented a vital criteria for success. The project was completed using a small dedicated team with one lead designer. This project also shows that standard agreements and tools can be adjusted to fit startups, enabling us to do smaller but equally fun and important creative work.